About Guatemala

A few "finger-tip facts" about our beautiful country of service--Guatemala, Central America, "The Land of Eternal Springtime.: Location: Guatemala is located just south of Mexico. To the south borders Honduras and El Salvador and Belize is off the N.E. border. Anyone traveling into Central/South America by car must travel through Guatemala to get there. Our ministry is located in Camotan, Chiquimula, between Zacapa and Esquipulas, 4 hours east of Guatemala City...just 1 hours from the border where Guatemala meets Honduras and El Salvador.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Sequi, veniam maiores iste eveniet suscipit cupiditate nesciunt minus quisquam? Neque, eius suscipit nisi quisquam voluptas ab expedita modi! Minus, tempore, explicabo.

Placeholder image

Statistics/Facts

 Area: 70,000 square miles

Capital City: Guatemala City (elevation--approximately 5,000 feet)

Population: Just over 13 million people, with 45% being Indians (Mayan) and the other 55% of mixed Spanish/Indian ancestry.

Official Language: Spanish (although there are 22 Mayan dialects spoken by the various indigenous families). Often English is spoken (or at least understood) in the "tourist" sections of the country.

Chief Products: Agriculture--bananas, beans, beef cattle, cardamom, coffee, corn, cotton, sugar cane. Manufacturing--clothing and textiles, handicrafts, processed foods and beverages.

Money: "Quetzales" (named after a nearly extinct bird, native to Guatemala). The denominations are like those in the U.S. -- Q1.00 (green), Q5.00 (purple), Q10.00 (red), Q20.00 (blue), Q50.00 (orange), Q100.00 (light brown)...and coins in 1, 5, 10, 25, & 50 "centavos" denominations. There is also a Q1 "gold" coin. Presently the exchange rate is approximately $1.00 (U.S.) = Q7.50.

Taxes: Most goods and services are subject to a 12% tax (IVA). Hotels also add an additional 10% tax on top of that. In restaurants, tipping is at the discretion of the customer, but 10% is usual.

Climate: Tropical, where temperatures vary greatly from area to area due to great differences in elevation. There are six months of rain basicallyl from May - October and then six months of dry weather from November - April.

Economy: Guatemala is a developing country and the economy is slow.

Government: Guatemala has a demoncratic government with a president and elected representatives. Elections are held every 4 years.

Education: Approximately 55% attend primary school; only about 15% go to high school. The overall literacy rate is approximately 46%.